Malaysia External Trade Development Corporation (MATRADE) is the national trade promotion agency of Malaysia under the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI). Its primary role is to assist Malaysian companies to develop and expand their export markets. Supported by a global network of offices located in major commercial cities around the world, MATRADE provides a wide range of services and facilities to Malaysian exporters.
Positioning Malaysia as a Globally Competitive Trading Nation
Promoting Malaysia's Enterprises to the World
1. To promote, assist and develop Malaysia's external trade with particular emphasis on the export of manufactured and semi-manufactured products and services.
2. To formulate and implement export marketing strategies and trade promotion activities to promote Malaysia's export.
3. To undertake commercial intelligence and market research and create a comprehensive database of information for the improvement and development of Malaysia's trade.
4. To organise training programmes to improve the international marketing skills of Malaysian exporters.
5. To enhance and protect Malaysia's international trade interest abroad.
6. To promote, facilitate and assist in the services areas related to trade.
Malaysian exporters and export ready companies are encouraged to register with MATRADE. Registration is free. Companies registered with MATRADE will have the company profile and business interest listed in the Malaysia Exporters Registry (MER). The MER is an online database in MATRADE¡¯s website, of Malaysian companies with interest to seek export markets for their products and services. Foreign buyers do visit MATRADE¡¯s website when seeking suitable products and services.
Registration to become a MATRADE member can be done online via MATRADE¡¯s website, www.matrade.gov.my.
Market Development Grant (MDG), Matrade
The scheme is to provide a matching grant to assist Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) undertake promotion activities for the development of export markets.
To qualify for the Market Development Grant (MDG), Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) must be:
1. Incorporated under the Companies Act 1965;
2. At least 60% equity held by Malaysians;
3. For manufacturing and agricultural sector, having an annual sales turnover not exceeding RM25 million (based on the latest financial report) OR not more than 150 full-time employees;
4. For trading companies that meet the following additional conditions:
4.1 Having annual sales turnover of at least RM10 million OR export sales of at least RM3 million.(Women owned enterprise are exempted from this condition)
4.2 Exporting Made In Malaysia products especially those manufactured by SMEs
4.3 Not more than 20% of the company's annual sales is derived from trading in primary commodities. For description of primary commodities, please refer to Annex A of MDG Application form
Type of Grant & Eligible Activities:
Companies can obtain a 50% reimbursable matching grant on the approved cost of the eligible activities. The grant is available for one or more of the eligible activities. The followings activities are eligible for MDG:
1. Participation in International Trade Fairs
2. Participation in Trade And Investment Mission
3. Participation in Specialized Marketing Mission
4. Participation in In-Store Promotion Overseas
5. Participation in Industry and Professional Related International Conferences Overseas
6. Participation in meetings related to negotiations on Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA), Free Trade Agreement (FTA), ASEAN, World Trade Organization (WTO) and other market access negotiations by representatives of Trade and Industry Associations and Professional Bodies
7. Preparation of Promotional Materials to develop export markets
8. Initial cost of setting up office overseas for purpose of :
8.1 Promoting exports of Malaysian product and services
8.2 Seeking opportunity for outsourcing and subcontracting business
8.3 To undertake research on the market
8.4 To undertake and monitor implementation of projects and contracts
9. Promotional activities undertaken with Hypermarkets and Retail Outlets overseas
10. Participation in Overseas International Tenders
11. Overseas cost of conducting Export Market Research for the purpose of :
11.1 Selecting new markets for new products or existing products
11.2 Gathering information on existing export market
12. For Women Owned Enterprise, additional eligible activities for MDG are :
12.1 Participation in Malaysia Export Exhibition Centre (MEEC) at MATRADE
12.2 Participation in Export Training seminars and workshops held locally
Application and claim Procedure:
1. Application for the grant is made using the application form MDG 1/08 which is available free of charge at MATRADE or can be downloaded from MATRADE's website.
2. All companies are encouraged to apply for MDG at least one month before undertaking the activity. This is to ascertain if the activity is eligible for the grant.
3. Claims for reimbursement for all eligible activities must be submitted within (2) months of completion of the activity with the invoices and original receipts or copies certified by External Auditors
For further information, please contact:
Malaysia External Trade Development Corporation (MATRADE)
Tingkat 10, Menara Grand
Lot 42, Section 46, Ban Hock Road
93100 Kuching, Sarawak
Tel: 082-246780, 248780
Source: Website of MATRADE
Opening Ceremony of MATRADE Sarawak and MATRADE Sarawak Exhibition Centre (MSEC)
The official Opening Ceremony of Malaysia External Trade Development Corporation (MATRADE), Sarawak Branch at 10th Floor , Menara Grand, Ban Hock Road, Kuching, Sarawak was officiated by YAB Pehin Sri Hj. Abdul Taib Mahmud, the Chief Minister of Sarawak and YB Tan Sri Muhyiddin Mohd Yassin, the Minister of International Trade and Industry, Malaysia on 17 July 2008.
YB Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin urged Sarawak¡¯s Manufacturing and SME Business Community to greater heights by moving up the value chain in the global supply market and increasing their overall competitiveness.
He said that this could be achieved if Sarawakian companies made full use of
MATRADE`s various trade promotion activities, market access programmes, grants and overseas trade missions.
He hoped that the establishment of MATRADE`s Sarawak office, Sarawakian companies will take advantage of the services provided by MATRADE as well as fully utilise MATRADE`s network of 34 offices worldwide.
In addition, the office, which spans 3,743 square feet, also has a display space called the MATRADE Sarawak Exhibition Centre (MSEC) where exporters can showcase samples of their products and services.
Furthermore, Tan Sri Muhyiddin added that in view of the current low uptake of the Market Development Grant (MDG) scheme as well as to further enhance its service delivery, MATRADE has decided that from August 1, 2008, all MDG applications from Sarawakian companies would be processed by MATRADE`s Sarawak office.